Monday, October 3, 2022
HomeDevelopmentUbisoft working on a new version of Splinter Cell

Ubisoft working on a new version of Splinter Cell

After eight years, a new Splinter Cell game is finally in development. This report, from Tom Henderson for Video Game Chronicle, says that “development sources” claim that Ubisoft has greenlit a new Splinter Cell game in an effort to appease fans who have been increasingly frustrated with the recent mobile and VR entries in the franchise.

According to the sources, the game is still in early development, and while they are unsure of which studios are working on the game, they state that it likely won’t be at Ubisoft Montreal, where several of the past Splinter Cell games were developed.


The last Splinter Cell game to hit store shelves was Splinter Cell: Blacklist, a sequel to Splinter Cell: Conviction, which was released in 2013. Since 2002, there have been several Splinter Cell games across numerous consoles, but since Blacklist, the protagonist Sam Fisher has only made cameo appearances in other games such as Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

Last year, CEO Yves Guillemot said the Splinter Cell series needed to evolve before it could make a comeback.

“When you create a game, you have to make sure you will come with something that will be different enough from what you did before,” he said.

“The last time we did a Splinter Cell, we had lots of pressure from all the fans actually saying, ‘Don’t change it, don’t do this, don’t do that,’ so some of the teams were more anxious to work on the brand.

“Now there are some things and some people that are now looking at the brand, taking care of the brand,” Guillemot added, “so at one point you will see something, but I can’t say more than that.”

The executive also said a key factor in the wait for a new Splinter Cell game has been the success of other Ubisoft franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, and the emergence of newer ones like Watch Dogs and The Division.

It is unclear when this Splinter Cell game will officially be announced. Ubisoft is facing some backlash from their latest reveal of Ghost Recon Frontline. It is safe to assume that they won’t rush into announcing another controversial game just yet.

The game could be revealed at the Ubisoft Forward during E3 next year, but that’s a best-case scenario and would only make sense if the game’s development is currently already in full swing.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular